Definition of ruderal in English:
(Of a plant) growing on waste ground or among rubbish.
- Once these openings close, the ruderal species disappear.
- Most of the non-endemic species within this group have adapted to ruderal areas, while none of the endemics occupies this kind of habitat.
- These populations are morphologically distinct from the more typical ruderal form which often occurs in close proximity in surrounding pastureland.
nounBack to top
A plant growing on waste ground or among rubbish.
- Bupleurum lancifolium and B. odontites occur in North Africa, but their original area of distribution is not clear as both species have been introduced and are ruderals or weeds in cultivated land.
- One of the characteristics of ruderals is a high potential relative growth rate in the seedling phase.
Definition of ruderal in:
- US English dictionary