Expressing sorrow or regret, especially in a wry or humorous way: she gave a rueful grin
More example sentences
- Now they have nothing but rueful regrets accompanied by doubts about how much longer this partly ageing side can remain together.
- Kay nodded to Ryan with a rueful grin upon his lips as he slipped out of his seat and moved towards the ladies.
- She gave her a rueful grin and hurried out the front door, nearly slamming into Kyle.
- Example sentences
- There is a quality of self-directed ruefulness or self-causation.
- I told her about my coffee date with my neighbour last week, and we analysed with our usual ruefulness the mixture of mellowness and awkwardness that arose.
- Folk and country, romance and ruefulness, innocence and experience are all conjoined in their bewitching vocal harmonies.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.