- Reddish brown in colour: handsome rufous plumageMore example sentences
- Karl Vernes' current interest is in a small rufous bettong colony that lives in the New England region of northern NSW.
- Males in breeding plumage are unmistakable with their dark blue color, rufous sides and crown, and striking white patterning on the face, neck, sides, and back.
- The adult in breeding plumage is mottled black-and-brown, with little or no rufous coloration.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
- A reddish-brown colour: pale southern races of peregrine have some rufous on napeMore example sentences
- This large, long-tailed flycatcher has a pale yellow belly, gray breast and head, and rufous on its wings and tail.
late 18th century: from Latin rufus 'red, reddish' + -ous.
More definitions of rufousDefinition of rufous in:
- The US English dictionary