Definition of rug in English:
1A floor covering of thick woven material or animal skin, typically not extending over the entire floor: an oriental rug Charles and Elaine were sitting on the rug in front of the fire
More example sentences
- A goatskin rug covers the carpet in front of a brass fireplace with marble surround and wooden mantelpiece.
- Kurtas, short kurtas, cushion covers, bags, bedspreads, rugs, carpets and a whole lot of other items would be on display at the expo.
- Furniture, televisions, other electrical appliances, carpets and rugs often contain chemicals that are stain repellent or fire retardant.
1.1British A thick woollen coverlet or wrap, used especially when travelling.
- When he was lowered to the ground, his box was tipped on its side to enable an emotional Blaine to stagger out wrapped in a rug.
- But stoics take rugs, umbrellas, thick coats and bracing amounts of booze.
- During the summer months, the light lasts well into the evening while passengers sit on deck, wrapped in rugs, marvelling at the beauty of the glaciers.
1.2A shaped garment worn by horses for protection or warmth.
- Mr Petit, who travels around the country showing horses with his family, has suffered at the hands of thieves who have stolen a lorry, horsebox, horse rugs and saddles and even horse feed.
- The horses wore leather rugs to protect their coats and keep them warm, but a string on one had come loose and was trailing in the mud.
- He described the job of putting on a horse rug as ‘like putting your shoes on in a morning’.
1.3 informal , chiefly North American A toupee or wig: men who shave their heads or wear rugs
More example sentences
- I hereby sentence the actors to get a haircut so they won't need to wear the bad rugs.
- I was actually disappointed that his tresses were not the result of a bad rug.
- One in 10 is tempted to conceal her wayward tresses under a rug when it becomes frizzy, dry, dull or takes on a life of its own.
pull the rug (out) from under
- Abruptly withdraw support from (someone): the debts of major companies are too large for the banks to pull the rugMore example sentences
- More importantly, though, Russell's narrative pulls the rug from under us, changing our perceptions of all three characters.
- But yesterday he effectively pulled the rug from under them by introducing 19 per cent corporation tax levy on those profits.
- In both countries, it was the external patron whom the local regimes had relied on for protection that pulled the rug from under them.