- 1A person exercising government or dominion.More example sentences
- Luanda on the Angola coast was a Portuguese town from which they tried to exercise control over African rulers inland.
- Hence the exercise of the ruler's authority could be decisive in determining the outcome of local rivalries.
- In February workers overthrew the dictatorial ruler, the Tsar.
- 2A straight strip or cylinder of plastic, wood, metal, or other rigid material, typically marked at regular intervals and used to draw straight lines or measure distances.More example sentences
- I then showed them how to use a white pencil to trace circles of various sizes and straight lines with rulers.
- Using the metal ruler as a straight edge cut 10 1-inch right triangles with the craft knife.
- The size of swelling and redness were measured with a plastic ruler, while the child's reaction to movement of the limb or to touch of the site was graded with a standard scale.
- More example sentences
- I believe she was still fighting at the last, possibly to retain her rulership and to pass that on to her son.
- Plato later built on this idea in The Republic to argue that rulership was a skill like any other, and that therefore we should be governed by experts.
- Apart from the Sun and Moon each planet has two rulerships - one diurnal, one nocturnal - to recognise their expression in these altered states.