- An authoritative decision or pronouncement, especially one made by a judge: the ruling was reversed in the appeal courtMore example sentences
- He said assets would be confiscated after two court rulings on the decision.
- This appeal against conviction is based solely on two rulings made by the judge prior to trial.
- The French court's decision is at odds with rulings on similar cases in the US.
adjectiveBack to top
- Currently exercising authority or influence: the ruling coalitionMore example sentences
- The council's housing panel is expected to refer a 3.88 per cent rent rise to the authority's ruling executive for approval when it meets next Monday.
- The plan will be presented by the county authority's ruling Conservative group to a meeting of the governing executive on Tuesday.
- To think that a ruling coalition will allow its nominated prime minister to be defeated in an election is inconceivable.