Definition of ruminant in English:
1An even-toed ungulate mammal that chews the cud regurgitated from its rumen. The ruminants comprise the cattle, sheep, antelopes, deer, giraffes, and their relatives.
- Suborder Ruminantia, order Artiodactyla: six families
- The giraffe is the biggest ruminant and the tallest mammal in the world.
- In 2003, the United States exported approximately $7.5bn worth of beef, beef products, cattle and other ruminants and ruminant by-products.
- In 1997 the Canadian Food Inspection Agency banned the feeding of recycled products from ruminant animals back to other ruminants, like cattle, sheep, goats, bison, elk or deer.
adjectiveBack to top
Of or belonging to ruminants: a ruminant animal
More example sentences
- He was interested in improving digestive processes within the rumen, the first of the four stomachs of ruminant animals, where cellulose is broken down by bacteria.
- Forage crops and native rangelands are vital to U.S. livestock interests, since they're the main feed staple of all ruminant animals tied to the meat and dairy industries.
- Groups of ruminant steers had settled down in the shade of old oaks.
Definition of ruminant in:
- US English dictionary