noun (plural runners-up)
- A competitor or team taking second place in a contest: he was runner-up in the 200 m individual medley [as modifier]: runner-up prizesMore example sentences
- The Oakbank Fastbats second team were runners-up in Division Three.
- They won the first tournament's doubles finals and were then runners-up in the second tournament.
- Keybury Security's six-a-side soccer team were runners-up in the Bradford Monday Premier League.
More definitions of runner-upDefinition of runner-up in:
- The US English dictionary