Definition of running battle in English:
1A military engagement which does not occur at a fixed location.
- They fought a running battle in Haifa Street.
- This set the pattern for the entire mission with a series of fierce running battles, day and night, against conventional forces and specially trained counter-SF troops.
- The running battle up the Channel was inconclusive (two Spanish ships lost through accident) and only the English fireship attack on the Armada's anchorage off Calais broke the stalemate.
1.1A confrontation which has gone on for a long time.
- ‘We had a running battle with the Globe,’ complains the Flynn manager.
- He had a running battle with the editor of the Vanuatu Trading Post, the country's only non-government news source.
- What it certainly did was to set off a series of running battles and feuds that brought the project to a practical standstill for the next nine months.
Definition of running battle in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia