- A widespread woodland toadstool that typically has a brightly coloured flattened cap and a white stem and gills.
More example sentences
- Genus Russula, family Russulaceae, class Hymenomycetes: numerous species. See also sickener ( sense 2)
- Most russulas are of medium size, up to 10 cm across the cap, which in young specimens is convex but later acquires a depression in the centre.
- Slowly, I learn to sniff the nuances: funnel caps have a hint of wet dog; truffle-like earthballs have a tang of burnt rubber; crab russula is redolent of shellfish; yellow sulphur mushrooms remind me of the Thames on a hot day.
modern Latin, from Latin russus 'red' (because many, such as the sickener, have a red cap).
More definitions of russulaDefinition of russula in:
- The US English dictionary