- A black or reddish-brown mineral consisting of titanium dioxide, typically occurring as needle-like crystals.More example sentences
- Other common minor constituents of eclogite include kyanite, orthopyroxene, rutile, amphibole, pyrite, and white mica.
- Some other minerals that are occasionally observed in the ore are magnetite, actinolite, rutile, the tourmaline group, chlorite group, mica group, garnet group, and iron-calcium-magnesium carbonates.
- Accessory minerals are apatite, rutile and zircon.
early 19th century: from French, or from German Rutil, from Latin rutilus 'reddish'.
More definitions of rutileDefinition of rutile in:
- The US English dictionary