noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- A compound of the flavonoid class found in common rue, buckwheat, capers, and other plants, and sometimes taken as a dietary supplement.More example sentences
- The most common flavonoid-containing supplements are Pycnogenol, grape seed extract, citrus flavonoids, quercetin, rutin, and soy isoflavones.
- The plant chemical rutin, which is a flavonoid, is partly responsible for this and also helps to rebuild the collagen fibres that maintain the outer layers of the vessels.
- We were fascinated by your use of rutin, since this flavonoid is a constituent in many herbs, including chamomile, elderberry and hawthorn.
mid 19th century: from Latin ruta 'rue' + -in1.
More definitions of rutinDefinition of rutin in:
- The US English dictionary