- 1A year’s sabbatical leave.More example sentences
- This week Askea Parish wishes Fr John Fitzpatrick well as he leaves to begin a sabbatical year.
- The award enables agency leaders in western Canada to take a sabbatical year to work on self-designed projects that are intended to benefit the broader voluntary sector.
- Paul, who had previously done some punditry for us in his sabbatical year between managing Rennes and Lyon, was added to the team at the start of last season and proved to be a tremendous asset.
- 2(In biblical times) a year observed every seventh year under the Mosaic law as a ‘sabbath’ during which the land was allowed to rest.More example sentences
- One miracle that the land exhibited was that every six years there was a bumper crop so that the Jews could take the seventh year - the sabbatical year - off from labor.
- In the jubilee legislation of Leviticus 25, after every seven sabbatical years all slaves were to be released, the debts of the poor cancelled, and the land left fallow and returned to the original distribution among families and clans.
- The word ‘Sabbath’ applies not only to high days but to sabbatical years which also have fixed dates.
More definitions of sabbatical yearDefinition of sabbatical year in:
- The US English dictionary