Definition of sabretooth in English:
1 (also sabre-toothed cat or tiger) A large extinct carnivorous mammal of the cat family, with massive curved upper canine teeth.
- Several genera in the family Felidae, in particular Smilodon of the American Pleistocene and Machairodus of the Old World Pliocene
- For instance, the extinct saber-toothed cat Smilodon fatalis was shown to have surprisingly weak bite strength relative to its size.
- Their goal is to restore giant wild mammals to North America, like those that roamed the continent during the Ice Age - mammoths, saber-toothed cats, and the extinct American cheetah, among others.
- These extinctions included animals such as mammoths and mastodons, the saber-toothed cat, ground sloths and native American horses and camels.
2A large extinct marsupial mammal of the South American Pliocene, with massive curved upper canine teeth.
- Genus Thylacosmilus, family Borhyaenidae
- Discuss the significance of the South American sabertooth Thylacosmilus.
- The skull of marsupial sabertooth Thylacosmilus and sabertooth cats has in connection with it very specific form.
- This marsupial sabertooth has been a great favorite ever since I saw the Matternes reconstructions in Life's Book of South America.
Definition of sabretooth in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.