Definition of sabretooth in English:
1 (also sabre-toothed cat or tiger) A large extinct carnivorous mammal of the cat family, with massive curved upper canine teeth.
- Several genera in the family Felidae, in particular Smilodon of the American Pleistocene and Machairodus of the Old World Pliocene
- For instance, the extinct saber-toothed cat Smilodon fatalis was shown to have surprisingly weak bite strength relative to its size.
- Their goal is to restore giant wild mammals to North America, like those that roamed the continent during the Ice Age - mammoths, saber-toothed cats, and the extinct American cheetah, among others.
- These extinctions included animals such as mammoths and mastodons, the saber-toothed cat, ground sloths and native American horses and camels.
2A large extinct marsupial mammal of the South American Pliocene, with massive curved upper canine teeth.
- Genus Thylacosmilus, family Borhyaenidae
- Discuss the significance of the South American sabertooth Thylacosmilus.
- The skull of marsupial sabertooth Thylacosmilus and sabertooth cats has in connection with it very specific form.
- This marsupial sabertooth has been a great favorite ever since I saw the Matternes reconstructions in Life's Book of South America.
Words that rhyme with sabretoothhoundstooth
Definition of sabretooth in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan