1Excessively sweet or sentimental: saccharine music
More example sentences
- But very often the sentiments expressed are saccharine.
- But what saves it from saccharine sentimentality is that Meany is used as a means of exposing not just the hypocrisies of small town life but the larger follies of post-war America.
- Ford relates the sentiment, humour and more grandiose moral of the story very effectively, but manages always to keep things sweet and never saccharine.
sentimental, over-sentimental, over-emotional, mawkish, cloying, sickly, sugary, syrupy, sickening, nauseating, maudlin, lachrymose, banal, trite
informal mushy, slushy, sloppy, schmaltzy, weepy, cutesy, lovey-dovey, gooey, drippy, sloshy, soupy, treacly, cheesy, corny, icky, sick-making, toe-curling
British informal soppy, twee
2 dated Relating to or containing sugar; sugary.
- Just as remarkable is the gingery, tart-sweet plum sauce (usually a saccharine affair) served with Republic Square's miniature fried egg rolls.
- Rosanna had always smelled of roses and saccharine peppermint.
- Diet Coke's path to glory was paved by the long-forgotten Tab, whose bitter, saccharine flavor first hit the market in 1963, and can be considered the gateway drug to diet colas.
another term for saccharin.
- In 1926 the artificial sweetener saccharine was popularized.
- Until recently we resorted to artificial sweeteners such as saccharine or aspartame, but never felt good about it.
- In Japan, Korea, and China, it is used extensively in lieu of saccharine and aspartame.
Words that rhyme with saccharinesaccharin
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: sac¦char|ine
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.