- An early form of trombone used in Renaissance music.More example sentences
- The Bassanos were particularly associated with the royal wind music, as players of recorders, sackbuts, and other wind instruments.
- The moment these records first appeared, pop groups were experimenting with sackbuts, rebecs and crumhorns.
- That's because any festival, whether it celebrates the sackbut and crumhorn of early music, or the sword and society of the Vikings, brings in enthusiasts.
late 15th century: from French saquebute, from obsolete saqueboute 'hook for pulling a man off a horse', from saquer 'to pull' + bouter 'to hit'.
More definitions of sackbutDefinition of sackbut in:
- The US English dictionary