Definition of sacrarium in English:
noun (plural sacraria səˈkrɛːrɪə)
1The sanctuary of a church.
- It is now on display in the sacrarium of the Catholic parish church of Neu-St Heribert.
- And the two senior priests, after bowing with reverence, enter the Sacrarium or wherever the Lord's Body is being reserved from the previous day and place.
- Melendez led a group of us through the exhibition and enchanted all visitors to the side chapel by opening the sacrarium to reveal a painting of the Last Supper.
1.1(In the Roman Catholic Church) a piscina.
- Unless the altar cloths have been stained with the Precious Blood, it is not necessary that they be cleaned in the sacrarium.
- Before they are washed, corporals and purifiers should always be rinsed first and the water should be disposed of as described above, in the sacrarium, etc.
Latin, from sacer, sacr- 'holy'.
Definition of sacrarium in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.