A large grouse of western North America, with long pointed tail feathers, noted for the male’s courtship display in which air sacs are inflated to make a popping sound.
- Centrocercus urophasianus, family Tetraonidae (or Phasianidae)
More example sentences
- Wildlife is plentiful, including jackrabbits, mule deer, elk, pheasant, sage grouse, barn owls, bald and golden eagles, and dozens of species of songbirds.
- Visitors to Grasslands National Park can witness the mating dance of the sage grouse or get a look at the sharp-tailed grouse, Saskatchewan's bird emblem.
- The explorers introduced to science Clark's nutcracker and Lewis's woodpecker, as well as the sage grouse and the lesser Canada goose.
Definition of sage grouse in:
- The US English dictionary