(also saiga antelope)
- An Asian antelope which has a distinctive convex snout with the nostrils opening downwards, living in herds on the cold steppes.
More example sentences
- Saiga tartarica, family Bovidae
- Among those added to the list is the saiga, a nomadic antelope inhabiting the steppes and semi-arid deserts of central Asia.
- Milner-Gulland and colleagues from Russia and Kazakhstan published a report on the reproductive collapse of the saiga antelope in the March 13 issue of the journal Nature.
- Many birds and some antelopes, notably the dik-dik and the saiga, sport noses that give them an exceptional ability to regulate brain temperature and conserve water.
early 19th century: from Russian.
More definitions of saigaDefinition of saiga in:
- The US English dictionary