noun (plural same or sailfishes)
- A fish with a high sail-like dorsal fin, in particular:
More example sentences
- ● an edible migratory billfish that is a prized game fish (genus Istiophorus, family Istiophoridae, in particular I. platypterus). ● (also Celebes sailfish) a small tropical freshwater fish of Sulawesi, popular in aquaria (Telmatherina ladigesi, family Atherinidae).
- The fishermen also chartered a deep-sea fishing boat for the day while in the Seychelles, bagging boxfuls of bonito but failing to spot the prized sailfish or black marlin.
- In summer, great shoals of gamefish arrive, including giant kingfish, barracuda, sailfish and bonito.
- For game fisherman the great catches are marlin, sailfish, tarpon and bonefish.
More definitions of sailfishDefinition of sailfish in:
- The US English dictionary