Definition of sailor in English:
1A person whose job it is to work as a member of the crew of a commercial or naval ship or boat, especially one who is below the rank of officer: Hawaii was an important stopping point for sailors to restock provisions
More example sentences
- The sailors on the patrol boat thought I was going to fall, so grabbed me by my clothes.
- As dawn broke, with the master's consent, sailors from the USS Bunker Hill boarded the vessel.
- He looked ahead and a saw a large crowd of sailors gathering around a docked ship.
1.1 [usually with adjective or noun modifier] A person who goes sailing as a sport or recreation: he is a keen sailor in his spare time
More example sentences
- She had wide interests, was a keen dinghy sailor and took an active part in youth welfare.
- Teddy had always been a keen and intrepid sailor, and after retiring he went to live in St Mawes where he had first learned to sail as a boy.
- He was a member of the sailing club and stalwart sailor and racer who lost his life at sea last year.
1.2 (a good/bad sailor) A person who rarely (or often) becomes sick at sea in rough weather.
- Hamnavoe is a great ship, I'm not a good sailor, but I have never been sick on it yet even in rough weather, which was not the case with the Ola.
- I'm not a good sailor and am bringing along a good supply of patches, dramamine, and ginger pills; sounds like they'll be essential since we'll embark from Ushuaia. Do you have any other suggestions for minimizing seasickness?
- 1sailorly adjective
- Example sentences
- Fielding took a large swig from the mug in true sailorly fashion.
- I found health and happiness living free in the sailorly life on unpolluted oceans, and you can, too.
- Tom Waits's 1985 album Rain Dogs contains the lyric "Sixteen men on a dead man's chest" and other piratical and sailorly phrases.
Mid 17th century: variant of obsolete sailer.
Words that rhyme with sailorAdela, bailer, bailor, baler, Benguela, bewailer, derailleur, hailer, inhaler, jailer, loudhailer, mailer, nailer, railer, retailer, sailer, scaler, Scheele, shillelagh, tailor, Taylor, trailer, Venezuela, vuvuzela, wailer, whaler
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.