A commercially valuable food fish of the cod family, which occurs in the North Atlantic. Also called coalfish, coley, (North American) pollock.
- Pollachius virens, family Gadidae
More example sentences
- Moving into deeper waters in the fjords you'll encounter shoals of mackerel, saithe and juvenile cod, and on the high-energy sites there are walls of orange dead man's fingers, plumose and dahlia anemones.
- For a Norwegian combined fishing and whaling vessel, typically 65 feet in length, this means passing the seasons catching saithe, herring, cod and minke whales.
- When prompted on the delicate question of feeding, Matt informed me that the sharks were fed saithe, a local white fish, three times a week and given extra vitamins.
mid 16th century: from Old Norse seithr.
Definition of saithe in:
- The US English dictionary