Definition of salad in English:
1A cold dish of various mixtures of raw or cooked vegetables, usually seasoned with oil, vinegar, or other dressing and sometimes accompanied by meat, fish, or other ingredients: a green salad [mass noun]: bowls of salad
More example sentences
- The Nouveau goes well with cold cuts, salads, poultry, meat dishes and cheese.
- You can also use the young leaves of Florence Fennel in salads and other cold dishes.
- Hey, I even started putting oil and vinegar on my salads instead of salad cream.
1.1 [mass noun, with modifier] A mixture containing a specified ingredient served with a dressing: a red pepper filled with tuna salad
More example sentences
- If you've got a dry bread, add a slice of tomato, a little extra mayo, or save it for tuna or egg salad.
- The tuna pasta salad was creamy with mayonnaise, and although I could taste some dill, it tasted flat and old.
- She also recommends pasta salad mixed with tuna, or bean and rice soups with fruit on the side.
one's salad days
- The period when one is young and inexperienced: the war seemed to be ending and so were my salad daysMore example sentences
- In my salad days as an eager young university student, I came across a tutor who had something of a reputation for enjoying an occasional flutter on the stock market.
- So, in Denis Santry's salad days, when he was a young wild man living on his own, what did they call his little flat?
- But these were their salad days, and they were young and hopeful.
- 1.1The peak or heyday of something: journey back to the salad days of the railways[from Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra i. v. 73]More example sentences
- The global fight-back appears to be working as the company is enjoying its own salad days after two years of the first business slump in its history.
- We reside in the salad days of global liquidity and speculative excess.
- We thought the salad days of heavy metal were long over.
Definition of salad in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan