- Watery liquid secreted into the mouth by glands, providing lubrication for chewing and swallowing, and aiding digestion.More example sentences
- The total daily flow of saliva from all the salivary glands is around 600 ml.
- When the food doesn't go down, the mouth produces more saliva to try and lubricate everything into submission.
- The flu virus is usually spread in the small droplets of saliva coughed or sneezed into the atmosphere by an infected person.
- More example sentences
- Tolterodine is a recently introduced antimuscarinic agent, which has a lower affinity for muscarinic receptors in the salivary glands.
- Reflex secretion of saliva from the salivary glands under the tongue and in the cheeks is stimulated by chewing, taste and smell, to varying degrees.
- Scientists are working on gene therapy, improved artificial saliva and artificial salivary glands.
Pronunciation: /səˈlʌɪ-, ˈsalɪ-/adjective
late Middle English: from Latin.