Definition of salmon in English:
noun (plural same)
1A large edible fish that is a popular sporting fish, much prized for its pink flesh. Salmon mature in the sea but migrate to freshwater streams to spawn.
- Family Salmonidae (the salmon family): the Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar), which sometimes returns to spawn two or three times, and five species of Pacific salmon (genus Oncorhynchus), which always die after spawning. The salmon family also includes trout, charr, whitefish, and their relatives
- Grilse salmon and sea trout spawn in Miller Beck along with brown trout, and enter it from the River Leven after swimming in from Morecambe Bay.
- But environmentalists claim pollution from cod farms could endanger already depleted Atlantic salmon and sea trout populations.
- Fish passes work like ladders, allowing the migrating sea trout and salmon to leap from one stage to the next over the weirs, which can be as high as five metres.
1.1 [mass noun] The flesh of the salmon as food.
- Other foods such as salmon, sardines, white beans, tofu and collard greens also contain significant amounts of calcium.
- So I urge you to eat omega - 3-rich foods like salmon and mackerel several times a week.
- Oily fish such as herring, kippers, mackerel, pilchards, salmon, sardines and trout, contain oils that can lessen the risk of thrombosis.
2 [usually with modifier] Any of a number of fishes resembling the salmon, in particular:
- ● (Australian salmon) A large green and silver fish of Australasian inshore waters, popular as a game fish (Arripis trutta, family Arripidae). ● A prized food fish of the drum family (Sciaenidae), in particular the Cape salmon of the Indian Ocean (Atractoscion aequidens) and sea trouts of the western Atlantic (genus Cynoscion).
- The best fish to use is Cape salmon (gelbeck) and cod (hyabeljou), but smock or other firm-fleshed fish may also be used.
- Depending on the time of year and the movements of the fish in False Bay, we fish where we know the fish will be feeding. Inshore fishing trips predominantly target yellowtail and cape snoek. Cape salmon, kob and various species of reef fish are also caught.
3 [mass noun] A pale pink colour: [as modifier]: cotton checked throw in cream and salmon pink ceanothus-clad walls of salmon brick
More example sentences
- The open-plan living room has been decorated in warm shades of cream, green, beige, turquoise and salmon, with grass-effect rugs.
- In Florida, a Cuban palette of pastels, flamingo pink, and salmon dominates fashion as well as exterior and interior design.
- A living room or sitting room with salmon walls will seem cozy without inciting claustrophobia.
- Example sentences
- When the fish near market size, farmers add astaxanthin, a pigment similar to beta-carotene, to their feed to give their gray flesh a salmony pinkish glow.
- This one is a rich salmony pink called cranberry.
- This is only one river basin, and the salmon are pinks, which, being low-fat and lacking that salmony taste, mostly get smoked, salted or canned.
Definition of salmon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan