- Trousers with a high waist and shoulder straps, typically made of a padded fabric and worn for skiing.More example sentences
- Neither of the fundraisers have even put on a pair of skis or salopettes, but they intend to glide down the slopes with ease in the 26 mile event.
- A maintenance brigade dressed in voluminous salopettes, Arctic mittens and balaclavas is repairing the rig, a geyser of steam and water shooting up into the air as they pull sections of pipe out of the ground.
- Almost everyone was wearing après-ski and ‘moon’ boots and, in a couple of instances, what looked remarkably like salopettes.
1970s: from French salopette in the same sense + -s by analogy with such words as trousers.
More definitions of salopettesDefinition of salopettes in:
- The US English dictionary