nounchiefly North American
- A meadow that is subject to flooding by seawater; a salt marsh.More example sentences
- Among the natural wonders that should be protected are stag beetles, and ramshorn snails; habitats including salt meadows and oak woods; and rare plants such as the lady's slipper orchid.
- Many of the barrier islands, once virtually uninhabited, were used as pasture by free ranging cattle. The best producing salt meadows yielded up to three tons of salt hay per acre and could be harvested twice during the growing season.
- Atlantic salt meadows develop when halophytic vegetation (i.e. plants able to tolerate salty soil conditions) colonises soft intertidal sediments of mud and sand in areas protected from strong wave action.
More definitions of salt meadowDefinition of salt meadow in:
- The US English dictionary