Definition of salt mine in English:
1A mine yielding rock salt.
- Most of the salt used by the agency is mined at the rock salt mine in the Cheshire town of Winsford.
- There was a birthday trip into the nether world of a salt mine, where, along with the labarynthine tunnels, the miners had hewn for themselves not one, not two, but three chapels - cut into the white rock.
- The marsh is at the site of an abandoned salt mine.
1.1 (usually salt mines) humorous A job involving demanding or gruelling work: so it’s back to the salt mines here in Cambridge
More example sentences
- So it's back to the salt mines here in Cambridge.
- But until then, it's back to the salt mines (law firm) for me…
- There have been a series of summer transfer stories (or in actual fact non-stories) which have had the fans working long and hard in the salt mines that are the football forums.
Definition of salt mine in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan