- A shallow container or depression in the ground in which salt water evaporates to leave a deposit of salt.More example sentences
- The lagoon was ideal for salt pans - shallow basins that could be opened to allow in the tide, then closed so the water could evaporate.
- The surface of Central Australia's Stuart Highway may be ribbon-smooth, but to each side of it are ancient red sand ridges and ochre salt pans.
- The salt pans on which his wealth was based are now overgrown with thorny scrub; the channel that once linked lagoon to ocean choked by prickly pear and cactus.
More definitions of salt panDefinition of salt pan in:
- The US English dictionary