noun(usually saltings) British
- An area of coastal land that is regularly covered by the tide: they nest on the drier parts of the saltingsMore example sentences
- The birds, wanderers from Iceland and even Greenland, were attracted to the beaches and denes, to Breydon estuary wall and saltings and to the surrounding marshes inland as far as the Halvergate / Stracey Arms marsh road.
- Like most waders, at high water curlew form large roosts on either the highest saltings or on fields and marshes behind the sea walls.
- Watching from the Breydon Bridge observation hide at high tide, I suddenly became aware of hundreds of dunlin taking wing and climbing high above the saltings.
More definitions of saltingDefinition of salting in:
- The US English dictionary