Definition of saltire in English:
1A diagonal cross as a heraldic ordinary.
- If the red saltire had simply been placed over the white, it might have simply appeared to be a red saltire with a white border, rather than two saltires combined.
- Nicknamed The Highlander, he had already caused a stir at the Games, dyeing his hair blue and white to resemble the saltire.
- Grampian also gets a new logo to replace its trademark saltire.
1.1 [as modifier] (Of a design) incorporating a motif based on a saltire cross: a saltire design a mosaic with a saltire arrangement
More example sentences
- The new design added the red saltire cross attributed to St. Patrick for Ireland.
- The smooth concrete of the distinctly Kahnian vaults is impressed with a pattern of abstract saltire crosses created using basic rubber moulds.
- Legend has it that St Andrew was martyred by the Romans on a saltire cross at Patras in Greece.
- Example sentences
- In its center is disc within a smaller wreath of laurel which contains a torch between two swords saltirewise (points up) and flanked by two mullets.
- The two swords crossed saltirewise represent both active and reserve forces and attest to eternal readiness.
Words that rhyme with saltireBlantyre • haywire • tripwire
Definition of saltire in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.