Definition of saltire in English:
1A diagonal cross as a heraldic ordinary.
- If the red saltire had simply been placed over the white, it might have simply appeared to be a red saltire with a white border, rather than two saltires combined.
- Nicknamed The Highlander, he had already caused a stir at the Games, dyeing his hair blue and white to resemble the saltire.
- Grampian also gets a new logo to replace its trademark saltire.
1.1 [as modifier] (Of a design) incorporating a motif based on a saltire cross: a saltire design a mosaic with a saltire arrangement
More example sentences
- The new design added the red saltire cross attributed to St. Patrick for Ireland.
- The smooth concrete of the distinctly Kahnian vaults is impressed with a pattern of abstract saltire crosses created using basic rubber moulds.
- Legend has it that St Andrew was martyred by the Romans on a saltire cross at Patras in Greece.
- Example sentences
- In its center is disc within a smaller wreath of laurel which contains a torch between two swords saltirewise (points up) and flanked by two mullets.
- The two swords crossed saltirewise represent both active and reserve forces and attest to eternal readiness.
Definition of saltire in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India