(Salvationist) A member of the Salvation Army.
- This Damon Runyon tale of Broadway in the 1940s, has a melee of characters including gamblers, nightclub performers and Salvationists seeking to reform wayward inhabitants of Times Square in New York.
- They're called Presbyterians, Anglicans, Catholics, Salvationists and all the rest of them in all the different kinds of uniforms and badges of their believing.
- After a week's hard work as a farmhand up country in Australia he would return home at the weekends and get involved with the local Salvationists.
1Relating to salvation: I redirected them from salvationist aspirations toward traditional psychiatry
More example sentences
- The doctrine is both secular and salvationist, and attributes to Australia and the West in our generation the task of saving the world from poverty, war, historical grievances, superstition, prejudice and other such evils.
- Over the past half-century the church has spread its strongly salvationist message across the globe and is now established in five continents.
1.1 (Salvationist) Relating to the Salvation Army: a Salvationist family gave him work
More example sentences
- On top of this, Salvationist women encountered constant reminders of the patriarchal nature of the sacred texts and received tradition of Christianity.
- The Salvationist approach is always to apply Christian teaching in a practical way that helps people to help themselves, Susan says.
- In this predominantly male, working-class climate, the Salvationist vision stresses hard work, discipline and self-transformation in service to others.
- Example sentences
- The pragmatic religious mind comes into its own in Protestantism, manipulating the divine to conform to its individualistic desires and its concern for utilitarian salvationism.
- Universalism (or more precisely, universal salvationism) is supported by a certain body of scriptures such as "If I am lifted up from the earth, I will draw all men to me."
- Methodism and Salvationism were born in revival, a revival concerned with saving sinners and making saints out of converts.
Words that rhyme with salvationistaccommodationist, associationist, collaborationist, conservationist, creationist, deviationist, educationist, federationist, isolationist, preservationist, representationist, restorationist, revelationist, situationist, vacationist
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: sal|va¦tion|ist
Definition of salvationist in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.