noun (plural samadhis)
1 [mass noun] Hinduism & Buddhism A state of intense concentration achieved through meditation. In yoga this is regarded as the final stage, at which union with the divine is reached (before or at death).
- He said that for twenty years I had served him well, and that if I did five more years of tapas, religious austerity, I would achieve nirvikalpa samadhi (ultimate meditation).
- This lack of self is related to gnosis but makes me think more of things like yoga's samadhi.
- The term, Zen, is a translation of a Sanskrit term, dhyana, the seventh highest state of consciousness immediately preceding samadhi, the final and non-duality stage described in the eight limbs of yoga.
2Indian A tomb.
- Chanti refuses to surrender the piece of land, where his father's samadhi lay, to him at any cost.
- The last half an hour is a meditation at the sacred samadhi of Sadhu Vaswani.
- While he is among the five Congress Prime Ministers whose pictures appear in the Congress manifesto, the bjp has put a photograph of Vajpayee with Rao at Rajiv Gandhi's samadhi taken during the 13-day government of Vajpayee.
From Sanskrit samādhi 'contemplation'.
Words that rhyme with samadhicadi, cardy, Guardi, Hardie, hardy, lardy, Mahdi, mardy, Saadi, tardy, Yardie
Definition of samadhi in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.