A member of an Oscan-speaking people of southern Italy in ancient times, who spent long periods at war with republican Rome in the 4th to 1st centuries bc.
- The city of Rome gradually gained power from the time of the Tarquins, subduing the Etruscans, Sabines, Samnites, and Greek settlers, and by the mid-3rd century BC, controlled Italy.
- In particular, the Romans fought against the Etruscans and the Samnites.
- Thus, the alternate reality mode lets you play as the more challenging Celts, Samnites, Picts and other famous Roman antagonists, but you're almost self-assured of victory, provided you have a starting chance.
Relating to the Samnites.
- He showed a particular vindictiveness against the Samnite troops which his enemies had raised in large numbers, evoking an echo of the Social War.
- Correspondingly, the Roman success ensures that the alternative spectacle anticipated by Papirius will actually come to pass: the Samnite weapons are indeed displayed in triumph and decorate the temples of the Romans and their allies.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Sam|nite
Definition of Samnite in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.