- A small migratory sandpiper of northern Eurasia and Canada, typically seen running after receding waves on the beach.
More example sentences
- Calidris alba, family Scolopacidae
- White-rumped sandpipers and sanderlings were the two shorebirds observed most frequently on surveys along the north area coast during the post-nesting period in August 1995.
- He said it was crucially important as a refuelling stop’ for migratory birds and resident species, ranging from oyster catchers to sanderlings and curlews.
- On the coasts, the Caribbean to the east and the Pacific to the west, there were mangrove swamps with frigate birds, great egrets, pelicans, skimmers, sanderlings and vultures.
early 17th century: of unknown origin.
More definitions of sanderlingDefinition of sanderling in:
- The US English dictionary