Definition of sandlot in English:
1A piece of unoccupied land used by children for games.
- He came straight off the sandlots of Baltimore to become one of the game's great right fielders.
- So he learned more about sports on sandlots than in the gym.
- He was 17 when the Expos acquired the high school dropout off the Dominican sandlots in March 1993.
1.1 [as modifier] Denoting or relating to sport played by amateurs: sandlot baseball
More example sentences
- As the son of a semipro athlete who played sandlot baseball and football into his early 40's, he came by that blocky, unbreakable body by way of genetic inheritance.
- He grew up playing soccer and sandlot baseball after spending mornings baking bread in his grandfather's bakery.
- He was pitching for Mike's Diner in Class B sandlot baseball when he was signed by a Boston Red Sox scout, receiving a $500 bonus.
Definition of sandlot in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia