- A wading bird with a long bill and typically long legs, nesting on the ground by water and frequenting coastal areas on migration.
More example sentences
- Family Scolopacidae (the sandpiper family): several genera, especially Calidris, Tringa, and Actitis, and numerous species. The sandpiper family also includes the godwits, curlews, redshanks, turnstones, phalaropes, woodcock, snipe, and ruff
- Spotted redshank share their forest-marsh nesting grounds with wood sandpipers, greenshank, whimbrel, jack snipe and broad-billed sandpipers.
- Under the shade of a banyan, we train our binoculars on the far side of the lake and Little grebes, Grey herons, godwits, coots and sandpipers resolve themselves into view.
- When we arrived, it was past the peak of the fall shorebird migration, but there were still hundreds of sandpipers and plovers resting and feeding on Monomoy.
More definitions of sandpiperDefinition of sandpiper in:
- The US English dictionary