noun (plural santeros)
- 1(In Mexico and Spanish-speaking areas of the south-western US) a person who makes religious images: a visual arts show will include five works by santero Patrocinio BarelaMore example sentences
- While his works and those of many other accomplished santeros are painted, the Spanish colonial tradition also includes nonpainted santos.
- Unfortunately (at least, given the demands of orientalist discourse), as exotic as santero art might be, all the early santeros were male.
- These days there are so many santeros (crafters of santos) that one enthusiastic collector says, ‘It's like there's a wood-carver behind every tree.’
- 2A priest of the santeria religious cult.More example sentences
- A Manhattan-based santero priestess describes mercury as ‘a magnet that brings luck and love.’
- As an anglo santero, for example, you might be playing out the roles inscribed by colonial culture, but you're enacting a taboo - ‘going native.’
- Have you considered going to a santero (I'm not sure if the same term is used in Candomblé) and asking for help or advice?
More definitions of santeroDefinition of santero in:
- The US English dictionary