- (Chiefly in Provence) a figurine adorning a representation of the manger in which Jesus was laid.More example sentences
- There are treasures to take home, such as santons, little Provençal figures of bakers and farmers that go into a French crèche.
- If you are here in December you must visit the Salon des Santonniers, where the carved wooden figures known as santons are made and sold.
- The santons, a folk tradition in southern France, were carved, modeled, and painted by local artisans out of everything from wood to red clay to bread dough.
French, from Spanish, from santo 'saint'.
More definitions of santonDefinition of santon in:
- The US English dictionary