1Having a strong, pleasant taste: sapid nut bread the aromatic stew was just as sapid as it smelled
More example sentences
- Saliva also contributes to taste by dissolving sapid substances in food and so making them accessible to the taste buds; a zinc-binding protein, gustin, is thought to contribute to the taste process.
- For example, Ida allowed water-deprived rats access for 15 min/day to a sapid solution on either 0, 8, or 16 consecutive days.
- When the interval between preexposure and conditioning was 1 day, the rats formed only a weak aversion to the sapid solution, whereas when the interval was 19 days, the rats formed a very strong aversion to the solution.
- Example sentences
- Together with salt, it gives both the name and the relish to sallets from the sapidity, which renders not plants and herbs only, but men themselves pleasant and agreeable.
- Judging by his results, which he discusses in terms of sapidity and organoleptic and retronasal profiles, he, as much as anyone else, has elevated wine and cheese pairing to a science.
Early 17th century: from Latin sapidus, from sapere 'to taste'.
Words that rhyme with sapidrapid, vapid
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: sapid
Definition of sapid in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.