Definition of saponify in English:
verb (saponifies, saponifying, saponified)[with object] Chemistry
1Turn (fat or oil) into soap by reaction with an alkali: (as adjective saponified) saponified vegetable oils
More example sentences
- The purpose of an alkali is to saponify the oils and dislodge ordinary soil and other matter.
- In this work, saponified coconut oil was used as a chemical model to explain the behavior of amphiphilic molecules in biological systems related to their mutagenesis potential.
- Its vegetable and botanical ingredients include saponified coconut and olive oils, a natural citrus essential-oil blend, and aloe and rosemary extracts.
1.1Convert (any ester) into an alcohol and a metal salt by alkaline hydrolysis.
- The resulting ester was saponified under basic conditions to the free acid, converted to the acyl chloride with thionyl chloride, and then to the amide with anhydrous ammonia gas.
- The ethyl ester protecting groups of the tartrate were saponified in 1 M NaOH and heated at 40-45 deg C for I h.
- A sample of the isolated anthocyanins was also saponified using the method described by Durst and Wrolstad to remove acylation.
- Example sentences
- Most coolants and lubricants used in machining operations today are saponifiable -- that is, they can be made soluble by uniting with alkali to form soap, which is rinsed from parts relatively easily.
- Example sentences
- Soap is a salt formed by a process called saponification - a chemical reaction between an alkali metal, like sodium, and fatty carboxylic acids.
- It is produced through a chemical reaction, known as saponification, between triglycerides and a base, such a sodium hydroxide.
- SCO is an anionic surfactant obtained by saponification of triglycerides extracted from Cocus nucifera and is a compound widely used in the formulation of many cosmetic and hygiene products.
Definition of saponify in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan