- 1 • formal or • humorous Relating to lesbians or lesbianism: sapphic loversMore example sentences
- Surprisingly, given the straight male interest in lesbian couplings, sapphic commercials are still rare.
- Another strategy is adopted in Versary's closing sequence of ‘Sapphics’, a title punning between lesbian contents and sapphic fragments.
- As far as womanscaping, she says, ‘there is a cadre of lesbians who like hairier women, the she-bears of the sapphic world.’
- 2 (Sapphic) Relating to Sappho or her poetry.More example sentences
- In other words, the Sapphic lyric refuses the chronological unfolding of time and instead endlessly repeats the activity of looking back to the past even as it predicts its own future rewriting.
- Reviewers and critics paid Swinburne the compliment of identifying him with Sappho and praising his talent as Sapphic.
- Another is that I thought it reimagined Aphrodite, her presence, in a Sapphic way.
noun(sapphics) Back to top
- Verse in a metre associated with Sappho.More example sentences
- Meanwhile soldier poets wrote odes and sapphics based on dead forms borrowed from the Greeks while laying plans to translate the Aeneid.
More definitions of sapphicDefinition of sapphic in:
- The US English dictionary