Definition of sarcolemma in English:
The fine transparent tubular sheath which envelops the fibres of skeletal muscles.
- The newborn larvae migrate from the host's blood vessels through the sarcolemma of striated muscle tissue, where they penetrate and encyst inside an individual muscle cell.
- Desmin and vinculin are functionally related proteins that are present in the membrane-associated dense bodies in the sarcolemma of the smooth muscle cells.
- EC coupling occurs at specialized regions where the intracellular sarcoplasmic reticulum forms junctions with the sarcolemma or, more frequently, with tubular invaginations of the sarcolemma known as transverse tubules.
- sarcolemmal adjective
- Example sentences
- Diffuse fluorescent uptake of procion orange in the cytoplasm of diaphragm muscle fibers identifies sarcolemmal rupture of those individual fibers.
- Additional evidence for ongoing denervation of UA muscle in OSA is provided by the significant increase in sarcolemmal N-CAM staining.
- Endotoxemia and sepsis also induce mitochondrial dysfunction, sarcolemmal injury, and weakness and fatigability of the diaphragm.
Mid 19th century: from Greek sarx, sark- 'flesh' + lemma 'husk'.
Definition of sarcolemma in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.