noun (plural sarcomas or sarcomata /sɑːˈkəʊmətə/)Medicine
A malignant tumour of connective or other non-epithelial tissue.
- Sebaceous cysts, fibromas, papillomas, adenomas, sarcomas, carcinomas, and melanomas also have been reported.
- Dacarbazine is a chemotherapeutic agent that has been successfully applied to treat various types of cancer such as Hodgkin's disease, malignant melanomas, soft tissue sarcomas and advanced neuroblastomas.
- The increases were recorded for virtually all tumour types in children, while in adolescents the major changes were seen for carcinomas, lymphomas, soft tissue sarcomas, germ-cell and CNS tumours.
- Example sentences
- When one encounters a patient with hydrocephalus with or without diffuse meningeal enhancement on radiologic studies, meningeal sarcomatosis should be considered in the differential diagnosis.
- A phase-II study for abdominal sarcomatosis in 11 patients achieved a response in 45%, albeit the follow up was relatively short.
- The angiographic findings in a case of metastatic meningeal carcinomatosis and a case of primary meningeal sarcomatosis are presented.
- Example sentences
- The carcinomatous component is almost always squamous cell carcinoma, and the sarcomatous component usually contains a pleomorphic spindle cell proliferation.
- Composite malignant tumors containing both carcinomatous and sarcomatous components are known as carcinosarcomas.
- To our knowledge, this carcinosarcoma is the seventh reported case of a primary pancreatic neoplasm with mixed carcinomatous and sarcomatous elements.
Early 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek sarkōma, from sarkoun 'become fleshy', from sarx, sark- 'flesh'.
Words that rhyme with sarcomaaroma, carcinoma, chroma, coma, comber, diploma, glaucoma, Homer, lymphoma, melanoma, misnomer, Oklahoma, Omagh, roamer, Roma, romer, soma
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: sar|coma
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.