(also sargassum weed)
A brown seaweed with berry-like air bladders, typically forming large floating masses.
- Genus Sargassum, class Phaeophyceae
More example sentences
- Hatchlings that successfully make the trek from their nests to the relative safety of the gulf and ocean waters find sanctuary from predators in large, floating beds of sargassum seaweed far offshore.
- Patches of sargassum weed can be fish magnets
- They are also frequently found in floating sargassum weed, which suggests that they are common offshore.
modern Latin, from Portuguese sargaço (see sargasso).
Definition of sargassum in:
- The US English dictionary