Definition of sassafras in English:
1A deciduous North American tree with aromatic leaves and bark. The leaves are infused to make tea or ground into filé.
- Sassafras albidum, family Lauraceae
- Rich hardwoods of myrtle, blackwood, sassafras and Huon pine mingle with common eucalypts.
- The mitten-shaped foliage you sent appears to be that of a sassafras, a small to medium tree with fruit that turns deep blue and is carried on a bright red stalk.
- The dogwood, oak, chestnut, pine, red maple, black locust, sassafras, hickory, willow, cottonwood, and redbud dotted the landscape.
1.1 [mass noun] An extract of the leaves or bark of the sassafras, used medicinally or in perfumery.
- Some traditional herbal products display known toxicities (e.g., calamus, comfrey, and sassafras all have been shown to have carcinogenic actions).
- Wormood, pennyroyal, onion, camphor, horseradish, wintergreen, rue, bitter almond and sassafras are some of the essential oils that should only be used by qualified aromatherapy practitioners, if ever at all.
Words that rhyme with sassafrasdemitasse • gravitas
Definition of sassafras in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.