Scottish & Irish , derogatory
Definition of Sassenach in English:
An English person.
- I think a complete break-up of the union would be foolish for all of us, Sassenachs and Scots alike.
- Imagine the same holding true for the Scottish parliament, which has a fair contingent of Sassenachs.
- With only some 15,000 players aged between eight and 18 to England's quarter of a million, Scotland do not have the kind of conveyor belt that the Sassenachs so often enjoy.
adjectiveBack to top
- It leaves the typical member of the Glasgow professional class with a distinct but wholly comprehensible (to Sassenach ears) Scottish accent.
- The media community is reluctant to admit that Sassenach papers could overtake the homegrown product.
- Indeed, at one point, with only six men, they drove the eight-strong Sassenach pack back with a splendidly concerted shove.
Definition of Sassenach in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.