- Parallel wave-like ridges caused by winds on the surface of hard snow, especially in polar regions.More example sentences
- The first part of the journey was slow going due to rough sastrugi and moderately strong winds rolling off the Mulock Glacier immediately north of us.
- It was a hard day of traveling as the sastrugi were jagged and high, and the ground definition was very poor as everything was draped with the newly fallen snow of the last nine days.
- After we had made it through the rough sastrugi we entered a wide-open flat snow plain, almost perfect conditions for sledge travel.
mid 19th century: from Russian zastrugi 'small ridges'.
More definitions of sastrugiDefinition of sastrugi in:
- The US English dictionary