Definition of satin in English:
1A smooth, glossy fabric, usually of silk, produced by a weave in which the threads of the warp are caught and looped by the weft only at certain intervals: [as modifier]: a blue satin dress
More example sentences
- Acres of silk, satin, bamboo and quilted fabrics combined to create an opulent Oriental collection.
- Her dress was deep blue satin, high waisted and plainly cut, the bosom moderately low; her long gloves were white kid.
- Her dress, made from satin of the deepest blue, was tied at the back of her neck, leaving her shoulders and back bare.
verb (satins, satining, satined)[with object] Back to top
adjectiveBack to top
satinize (also satinise) verb
- Example sentences
- The range includes good updated basics, like needle-cord skirts and jeans-cut trousers with easy waists, T-shirts with decorated necklines, satinised ruffle-front blouses, smart shirts with double cuffs and chic pea jackets.
- The first half feels like the end of the world: a procession of motorcycle helmet-wearing models wearing the darkest black, satinised cotton and leather, walking to the growl of doom-laden bass.
- For her entry, Stephanie's daywear outfit was a mint green short tailored jacket and flared matching skirt in satinised cotton trimmed with cream Petersham ribbon.
- Example sentences
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, with a wooden spoon, an electric mixer, or a food processor until the dough is smooth and satiny.
- I kicked my satiny white slippers across the room and flung myself face-down on my bed.
- Thankfully, the flowers are lemon-scented and the dramatic red fruits contain satiny blue-black seeds that are edible raw or roasted and taste like peanuts.
Words that rhyme with satinLatin
Definition of satin in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan