1A provincial governor in the ancient Persian empire.
- From the end of the 370s Persia also faced a series of satrap revolts; these revolts particularly involved the western provinces of the empire, and rebel satraps made various overtures to Greek cities.
- The Persian satrap was unable to stop him at the first major battle at the Granicus River.
- They wrote out all Mordecai's orders to the Jews, and to the satraps, governors and nobles of the 127 provinces stretching from India to Cush.
1.1Any subordinate or local ruler.
- Outside the bounds of obedience are the orders or policies established by dictators and despotic satraps.
- So when no one turned up for his meeting, the local satrap reacted in the only way he knew how.
- The break up of the Vijayanagara empire had resulted in the satraps setting up their own separate kingdoms and the Brahmins were sought to legitimatise their rebel rule.
Definition of satrap in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.